The dutch Louis van Gaal this Saturday criticized the clubs that have asked to cancel the league competitions for the COVID-19 and said that “in sport the winner is declared on the field”.The former coach reproached the call of the current leader of the Eredivisie, Ajax, to suspend the tournament permanently and assured the Dutch newspaper “Algemeen Dagblad” what “There are clubs that use the coronavirus crisis for their own benefit.”“UEFA and FIFA are ready to adjust the rules and offer margin. Okay, let’s start working then. Then it can be expanded a bit next season with more games during the week“Van Gaal proposed. The position of UEFA and the Dutch Football Federation, which plans to resume the Eredivisie in the second half of June, has clashed with that of the Ajax. According to its technical director, Marc Overmars, both institutions are putting economic interests before health of the players and their families due to the risk of contagion. Van Gaal replied that parties should be resumed if health authorities establish “that the coronavirus has been defeated.”With eight days to go, nine for some teams, Ajax and AZ Alkmaar lead the Eredivisie with 56 points, although the Amsterdam team is in the lead on goal difference.“It cannot be that after 25 games an arrangement is made for Ajax to be champion. AZ Alkmaar has the same number of points and we’ve been three-quarters of the season. It does not matter? It doesn’t make sense, “he argued.For Van Gaal, the crisis caused by COVID-19 will also have consequences for the transfer market figures this summer. “I don’t think we will see transfers of more than 100 million euros”he indicated.
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORE“However, the ports cannot continue to effectively move goods without reducing air pollution and public health risks,” he said. The Long Beach harbor commission is set to consider the fee proposal Monday, while the Los Angeles harbor commission will take up the matter Dec. 20. “We’ve been working hand in hand with the Port of Long Beach on all components of the Clean Trucks Program and will continue to in the future,” said Geraldine Knatz, executive director of the Port of Los Angeles. The proposed container fees would be collected by the ports’ shipping terminals, according to port officials. Trucks would be monitored for compliance by radio frequency tracking devices. The charge is expected to be suspended by 2012, when about 16,800 drayage trucks operating at the ports are expected to meet 2007 federal emissions standards, resulting in an 80percent reduction in diesel emissions, according to port officials. The Los Angeles and Long Beach harbor commissions are scheduled next week to consider a fee that’s expected to generate $1.6 billion to replace or retrofit diesel-spewing big rigs with cleaner-burning trucks, marking the long-delayed second step of the Clean Trucks Program. The proposal calls for placing a $35 charge on all loaded cargo containers entering or leaving the ports by short- haul drayage trucks beginning June 1. The fee would not apply to containers entering or leaving the ports by train. “We acknowledge that this fee will result in additional costs to cargo owners and may ultimately increase slightly the cost of goods,” said Richard Steinke, executive director of the Port of Long Beach. The fee proposal is a follow-up to last month’s decision to ban older, dirtier trucks from the ports beginning on Oct. 1, 2008, as part of the Clean Trucks Program and the wider Clean Air Action Plan. “Clearly the trucks are a priority to clean up, and I think this fee reflects that priority,” said Martin Schlageter, a spokesman for the Coalition for Clean Air. “I think it’s appropriate that the owners of the cargo share the burden of that clean-up plan.” Truckers have argued that they have been left out in developing the Clean Trucks Program, including devising ways to pay for the $1.8 billion plan. “The fee proposal is kind of vague,” said Julie Sauls, vice president of external affairs for the California Trucking Association. “It’s not really clear how they will disperse the funds,” Sauls said. “That’s our biggest concern because we want to know how the funds will be utilized to replace the trucks.” The Clean Trucks Program was scheduled to begin Jan. 1, but a series of delays has pushed back the implementation date significantly later. The stall stems in part from a study released earlier this year by economist John Husing, who found that high costs associated with the plan could force a majority of the 1,300 port trucking companies out of business, resulting in a loss of drivers and a temporary slowdown of cargo deliveries. As a result, port officials went back to the drawing board to come up with a payment plan for the new, cleaner-burning trucks. Councilwoman Janice Hahn, whose 15th District includes the Port of Los Angeles, said she supported the proposed fee. “The question now is how that money will be spent so that we can truly clean up the trucks, while also providing the port with a steady and reliable workforce,” she said. “Clean trucks are great, but won’t do us much good without a stable workforce to drive them.” firstname.lastname@example.orgWant local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!