Russell stars for Sydney Thunder

first_imgSYDNEY, Australia (CMC): West Indies all-rounder Andre Russell made an emphatic start to his Big Bash campaign, snatching three wickets to help fire Sydney Thunder to a convincing 36-run victory over Sydney Sixers in the opening game yesterday. With Sixers chasing 159 for victory at the Sydney Showground Stadium, pacer Russell claimed three for 13 in a brilliant four-over spell to limit their scoring and reduce them to 122 all out off 19.5 overs. Opener Michael Lumb struck 34 from 27 deliveries, with four fours, but he was only one of four players in double figures and the only one to pass 14. Medium pacer Shane Watson claimed three for 13 from two overs. Sixers looked to be getting off to a good start when Lumb posted 28 off 21 balls with Brad Haddin, who made 13. However, Haddin, looking to play an attacking stroke, was bowled middle stump by a full-length delivery from Russell, with the third ball of his first over. In his next over – the sixth of the innings – Russell bowled captain Nic Maddinson for seven with the score on 37 for two; and the innings never really recovered. Earlier, captain Mike Hussey struck an unbeaten 80 off 59 deliveries, with five fours and four sixes as Thunder made 158 for four after opting to bat first. He put on 72 for the fourth wicket with Ben Rohrer, whose 30 came from 20 balls. Russell finished unbeaten on four off five deliveries.last_img read more

Nandy Park businessman dies in apparent suicide

first_img– found in pool of blood with gunshot wound to headThe lifeless body of 59-nine-year-old businessman Parbhudyal “Cecil” Persaud, called ‘Konkie,’ was discovered by his wife lying in a pool of his own blood at the back of their home at 83 Collingwood Avenue, Nandy Park, East Bank Demerara at about 06:00h on Sunday, when she opened the door to begin the day’s activities.The devastated woman raised an alarm, and the police were summoned. There was evidence of a gunshot wound to the head, suspected to have been inflicted by the man placing the still cocked .32 Taurus pistol in his mouth and pulling the trigger. A spent shell of similar calibre was found near Persaud’s body, while 8 rounds of matching ammunition were found in the magazine and one was in the breach. The pistol was jointly registered in the names of the now dead man and his 29-year-old son.Police reports indicate that Persaud may have taken the decision to end his life between 12:00h on Saturday and 06:00h on Sunday. His body is presently at the Lyken Funeral Parlour, awaiting a post-mortem.Guyana Times understands that, at about 10:00h on Saturday, Persaud had requested that his wife leave the home and not return alone. The unsuspecting woman accordingly left to join her son at the family’s sawmill at Yarrowkabra on the Soesdyke/Linden Highway. When the duo returned home at about 19:00h, Persaud was nowhere to be seen. Thus, having unsuccessfully contacted relatives in hope of reaching the man, his wife and son duly retired to bed; only to make the ghastly discovery of his dead body the following morning.According to family members, Persaud had been embroiled in a financial crisis for over a year, and had gone into depression; even making known on numerous occasions his intention to end his life.“He has a sawmill up the (Linden/Soesdyke) Highway, and about a year-and-half-ago he encountered some financial problems and he was very depressed… He said before that he would have committed suicide; and when his wife discovered (his body) this morning, it looked like he (had) shot himself,” the relative related.Persaud had allegedly suffered a mental breakdown some three years ago, and had been a patient at the Fort Canje Hospital’s Psychiatric Clinic in Berbice. His next doctor’s appointment was scheduled for Wednesday.He leaves to mourn his wife, four children and six grandchildren, among other relatives and friends.last_img read more