FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Roanoke Times:A federal appeals court on Friday struck down two key decisions allowing a natural gas pipeline to slice through the Jefferson National Forest.The 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals sided with the Sierra Club and other conservation groups that challenged approvals by the U.S. Forest Service and the Bureau of Land Management for a 3.6-mile segment of the Mountain Valley Pipeline.Affected woodlands are in Giles and Montgomery counties and Monroe County, West Virginia. The pipeline’s route through the national forest will also take it under the Appalachian Trail atop Peters Mountain.During oral arguments in May, a three-judge panel raised pointed questions about the Forest Service’s acceptance of Mountain Valley’s assurances that it could control erosion and sediment caused by running a 42-inch diameter buried pipeline along steep mountainsides.“MVP’s proposed project would be the largest pipeline of its kind to cross the Jefferson National Forest,” Judge Stephanie Thacker wrote in the opinion. “American citizens understandably place their trust in the Forest Service to protect and preserve this country’s forests, and they deserve more than silent acquiescence to a pipeline company’s justification for upending large swaths of national forest lands.”Although the court’s decision was tailored to a small section of the 303-mile pipeline, opponents said it could have implications beyond the national forest.Now that Mountain Valley lacks valid permits from the Forest Service and the Bureau of Land Management, some say that calls into question an order from the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission that set the project in motion last October.Earlier in the week, a partner in the corporate venture said completion of the pipeline has been pushed back to early 2019, citing the 4th Circuit’s earlier stay of the permit allowing stream crossings in West Virginia.In its Friday decision, the court said it was sending two decisions back to the appropriate agencies for further review. The first was the Forest Service’s amendment of the Jefferson National Forest Land Resource Management Plan to accommodate the pipeline. The second was a right-of-way through the forest granted by the Bureau of Land Management.It was not clear how long the reconsideration process might take. A key issue in the case was Mountain Valley’s assertion, made during discussions with the Forest Service, that its erosion and sediment control measures would be 79 percent effective. At first, Forest Service officials were highly skeptical of such a rosy scenario.The calculation is a “vast overestimate of containment,” Forest Service officials wrote in comments to Mountain Valley cited in court records. “It is more appropriate to err on the side of worst case scenario, rather than best case. Update the analysis to reflect a … factor equal to or less than 48 percent containment.”Yet later in process, Forest Service officials backed off of the directive and accepted the 79 percent projection. When Chief Judge Roger Gregory asked why during oral arguments in May, it prompted the following exchange:“This is part of the robust back and forth, with the agency asking hard questions,” said Trey Sibley, who was representing Mountain Valley after the company was allowed to intervene in the case.“I’m missing the robust side of this,” Gregory responded. “This seems like a one-way street. I don’t call that robust. I call that capitulation.”Since April, state regulators have put Mountain Valley on notice that its sediment and erosion control measures were inadequate at more than a dozen locations in Virginia and West Virginia. At least one inspection in the Jefferson National Forest found similar issues, according to filings with FERC.More: Federal appeals court delivers blow to Mountain Valley Pipeline Citing regulatory ‘capitulation,’ federal court blocks construction of Mountain Valley Pipeline through Virginia
30SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr,Kerry Blom Kerry is part owner of Pinpoint Direct Marketing in Andover, MN, a credit union based digital printing company. She has over 20 years experience in the industry. Pinpoint Direct Marketing … Web: www.pdmkt.com Details Credit Unions can get more share of wallet by implementing an Auto loan recapture campaign. The program is effective because they are targeted and specialized programs that focus specifically on your members’ auto loans, which were financed through a competitor. Rather than only promoting your auto loan rates in newsletters, on lobby posters, or in statement stuffers, a recapture program focuses on sending proactive, direct mail pieces and/or campaigns directly to these members with a compelling refinance offer.The first and most important step in implementing a successful auto loan recapture program is to determine the specific group of members you wish to target. The more defined and specific your list, the greater your chances are of having a high response rate and, in turn, a greater ROI.The next step in a successful recapture program is to give your prospects a compelling offer. Your members probably receive dozens of pieces of mail a week. Your compelling offer may range from a simple lower interest rate, to payment deferment, or even pre-screened, pre-approved loan offers.How to get the best bang for your buckAdding a PURL can drive response rate by making the offer accessible by mobile device-very easy for your members to say “Yes!” and communicate directly with you without even calling or stopping into the branch.Whatever you decide to offer, the language must be clear and communicate the value, benefits, and convenience your program has to offer.The auto lending industry is growing and your credit union doesn’t have to lose valuable member loans to the competition. With an auto loan recapture program, you can grow your auto loan portfolio, improve profitability and deepen relationships with your existing members.To learn more, please visit us at www.pdmkt.com or email us at http://www.pinpointdirectmarketing.com/contact-us.html.
By Toby DavisLONDON,(Reuters)-Manchester City maintained their imperious start to the season with a fifth straight victory yesterday as Bournemouth were swept aside 4-0 to become the latest victims of Pep Guardiola’s table-toppers.Goals from Kevin De Bruyne, Kelechi Iheanacho, Raheem Sterling and Ilkay Guendogan, on his Premier League debut, wrapped up the points after another scintillating display from the title favourites who continue to lay down a marker to their rivals.Heading the chasing pack are Everton, who stayed two points behind City with a 3-1 home win over Middlesbrough, Gareth Barry marking his 600th league appearance with a goal.Arsenal made it three successive league wins for the first time since January when they eased past 10-man Hull City 4-1 with Alexis Sanchez scoring twice and missing a penalty.There was also a double strike at Leicester City where new signing Islam Slimani enjoyed a league debut to remember as the champions rediscovered their domestic form to beat Burnley 3-0.Some pundits predicted Manchester City might suffer during Sergio Aguero’s three-match suspension but, after winning the Manchester derby last weekend, they tore into Bournemouth and wasted little time in taking the game away from their opponents.City were 1-0 up after 15 minutes when De Bruyne cleverly fired a free kick beneath the wall and into the net. They doubled the lead 10 minutes later when Iheanacho stabbed the ball home.The Nigerian then turned provider for Sterling soon after halftime and Guendogan rounded off the scoring when he drilled the ball low inside the post.There was a sour note for City when they had Spaniard Nolito sent off for a head-butt with four minutes remaining.That did little to dampen the spirits of Guardiola, however, who heralded another superb display from Belgium playmaker De Bruyne.“We are so lucky we have Kevin with us,” the coach said. “It was a fantastic performance.”Everton trailed against Middlesbrough following an own goal by keeper Maarten Stekelenburg before Barry levelled.Further first-half goals from Seamus Coleman and Romelu Lukaku then gave Ronald Koeman the best five-game start to a Premier League season by an Everton manager.FIRST TASTEIt was a day of superb individual displays with Slimani whetting the appetite of Leicester fans with two goals.Slimani, who made his debut in the Champions League in midweek after costing a club record 29 million pounds ($37.70 million) last month, was handed his first taste of Premier League action and scored twice in four minutes either side of halftime.The Algeria striker met Christian Fuchs’ inswinging free kick in first-half stoppage time and then headed home after the break when Riyad Mahrez showcased his dancing feet to shimmy into the box.Ben Mee’s own goal completed the scoring late on as Leicester took their haul to seven points from five games.Arsenal’s season has yet to fully ignite but they made light work of a Hull side who had Jake Livermore sent off for handball in the first half.Sanchez deflected the ball home to put Arsenal ahead after 17 minutes but the Chilean had his penalty saved by Eldin Jakupovic following Livermore’s dismissal.It was plain sailing from there on in, though, as Theo Walcott doubled the lead 10 minutes into the second half and, although the hosts pulled a goal back from the penalty spot through Robert Snodgrass, there was to be no late fightback.Sanchez rifled the ball high into the net and Granit Xhaka made it 4-1 with a bullet finish from distance in stoppage time, putting the London club third in the table on 10 points.West Bromwich Albion midfielder Nacer Chadli marked a superb home debut with two goals, one a penalty, and two assists as they beat hapless West Ham United 4-2 to hand the Londoners a third straight league defeat.