Tamara O’ReillyCalling the events of the last two weeks “an absolute disgrace”, President Thabo Mbeki has publicly condemned the recent spate of violent attacks on foreigners by South Africans.Speaking to the nation via a radio and television broadcast on Sunday 25 May – it also being Africa Day or the day when the African Union was formed – Mbeki said the nation should mark the day with their heads bowed.“Never since the birth of our democracy, have we witnessed such callousness. As part of the reflection that Africa Day requires of all of us, we must acknowledge the events of the past two weeks as an absolute disgrace.”Attacks on foreigners have gained momentum since they began two weeks ago, starting in Johannesburg and spreading to Mpumalanga, KwaZulu-Natal and Cape Town. Media reports around the world have featured shocking images of violence against foreigners, including cold-blooded acts of murder, brutal assault, looting and destruction of their property.Attackers are claiming that foreigners provide cheap labour, robbing South Africans of jobs and that they are responsible for crime. But whatever the reasons, says Mbeki, these attacks are unacceptable and senseless. “Whatever concerns exist, including those about housing, jobs and so on, these can and must be addressed in a manner that is consistent with the dignified, humane and caring characteristics that define the majority of our people – not through criminal means. They must be addressed through the structures of our democratic system.”According to police reports, so far 50 foreigners have been killed, about 35 000 have been displaced and thousands who are here legally, illegally or as asylum seekers are leaving the country. It is believed that about three million foreigners live in South Africa.The president’s broadcast came amid accusations from political leaders and analysts that Mbeki has not done enough to deal with the attacks. “It was a very good speech but belated,” said analyst Sipho Seepe of the South African Institute of Race Relations on public radio SABC on Monday. “The challenge is not about condemnation it’s about taking steps immediately when there is mayhem in the country.”Last week Mbeki called in the South African National Defence Force to quell the outbreak of violence in provinces around the country and citizens and various organisations have rallied together to provide shelter and food for those displaced by the attacks. Mbeki added that although these attacks taint the country’s image, not all South Africans should be painted with the same brush.“Many of our people, black and white, have come out to condemn this barbarity, offering food, shelter and clothing to those affected,” said Mbeki. “We commend and thank all these patriots and appeal to them to continue their good work, to reject and isolate the criminals in our midst and extend a hand of friendship to our foreign guests who are nothing more than our fellow human beings.”Mbeki said that South Africans should not forget that the county’s democracy was achieved through support from other African countries. “We must never forget that our economy was built by the combined labour of Africans drawn from all countries of our region, many of whom died in our mines together with their fellow South African workers.“Neither should we forget that many people from other African countries helped to build our liberation movement, while many in our region died because of apartheid aggression as they supported us in the struggle to defeat apartheid.”Tutu apologises for inhumanityArchbishop emeritus Desmond Tutu, well known as an outspoken champion of human rights, last week expressed his sorrow over the violence. “I want to apologise, to ask for forgiveness on behalf of our people,” said Tutu. “I am deeply, deeply sorry. I want to apologise that we could be so inhuman. Please, please, I call on our people, don’t let us dehumanise ourselves. We are acting contrary to our best nature. We are acting contrary to those we should be showing gratitude to who helped us become what we are, a free nation.”Kgalema Motlanthe, Member of Parliament and deputy president of the ruling African National Congress, told local and international journalists and media players at the International Media Forum that the ANC unequivocally condemns such acts.“It becomes the natural obligation of all South Africans to condemn these barbaric acts and we call on all South Africans to take a stand against such acts and condemn them as hate crimes,” said Mothlante. “They can only take our society backwards … these attacks across our townships are not only an attack on foreigners, but an attack on the values of our civil society. We call on all our leaders to unite to call a halt to these senseless attacks.”Useful linksSouth African Government InformationBua NewsRelated articlesTutu condemns attacks Hate violence must end: Mbeki
“This shows our recognition that financial development is a key ingredient for economic development,” he said. “A society with an undeveloped financial system is bound to experience a slower pace of growth in the real sectors of the economy.” Since its inception in 2004, over six million South Africans have opened Mzansi bank accounts which provide previously un-banked clients easy access to banking services countrywide. While the Mzansi account initially had a limited functionality, the account has since been enhanced to include stop order and debit order facilities, and Nene called for more innovative products and services to be provided to low-income earners. “We acknowledged that South Africa as a country does not have a savings culture,” he said. “Initiatives such as the Mzansi account therefore serve as a crucial building platform from which a culture of saving can be launched.” “This vindicates our position that historically disadvantaged members of our population can be harnessed into a potentially viable market.” 2 April 2009 Other countries that have put in place policy interventions to involve all citizens in banking include India, the United States and France where it is statutory for every adult to have a bank account. Zambia also embarked on a drive to effect cash transfers to beneficiaries of social security grants through mobile bank branches. Close to half of the South African adult population did not have access to a basic banking account, and he added that South Africans did not have a savings culture. “The number of accounts opened has surpassed six million since the launch of the Mzansi initiative,” said Deputy Finance Minister Nhlanhla Nene said in Pretoria on Tuesday. The service was established following a recommendation by the Financial Services Charter (FSC) and is supported by the country’s four largest banks and the Post Office. Nene pointed out that this lack of access to financial services led to various informal means of transacting, which were not only inconvenient, but also posed many risks. Banking for all Lack of access Nene said that before the introduction of the FSC initiative, South Africa’s financial system did not provide financial services to disadvantaged people, and the financial inclusion presented by Mzansi accounts made a much needed contribution towards the economic development of the country. Source: BuaNews
Even if you’re only casually following the developments in the tablet ecosystem, you’ve probably heard a little something about the HTC Flyer. It’s the tablet that works with a pen. Not a stylus, mind you, but a pen. “A stylus is just a dead stick,” HTC PR guy Keith Nowak told me during a briefing today. A stylus is used for navigation, he explained, but you don’t need the pen to navigate the Flyer. In fact, you don’t use it to navigate at all. You draw. You write. You scribble. Well, only if you want to, that is. The pen is an optional accessory.The new pen has a pressure-sensitive tip and can be used with the tablet’s built-in apps like Sketchbook and Notes, both of which offer the ability to draw directly on the tablet’s screen using pen-based input. But the really exciting thing about the pen? The technology, which HTC calls Scribe, will be opened up to third-party development.Pen-based Apps! Why Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic… Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting I have to admit, before going into the meeting, I was skeptical about the idea of using a pen with my tablet computer. But after taking notes using an ink pen and spiral-bound notebook all day, the idea that my notes could be digitized along with audio recordings of my meetings has real appeal. What’s more, with HTC’s tablet app Sketchbook will play back those notes and the recording as they were captured, allowing you to recall at what point who said what while you visually see your notes being created. It even syncs with Evernote for cloud-based backup.Confusingly, HTC also ships a simpler Notes app that works with the pen, too. In this app, you can insert photos from your camera or gallery, as well as scribble text. I can’t grasp why the two apps are not one, but it’s a minor complaint.I imagine that if I, as a lowly Internet reporter, can find an immediate use case for pen-based computing, businessmen and women could as well. And maybe even more so. The question will be how well does the technology work? Will it really be an improvement to its analog counterpart?If you’re thinking a re-adoption of the pen for tablet computing is a step backwards in our newly touch-enabled world, you may or may not be wrong. HTC says that touch is the most natural interaction for working with our digital devices, but the pen is still the most natural input for writing and drawing. I’ll give them drawing, I suppose. But writing? I’m pretty comfortable with my keyboards, both real and virtual. Why then, do I break out an ink pen in meetings? Why does a keyboard not solve the need there? And can pen-based tablet computing help me change that behavior? It’s something which I hope to find out later this year, when the tablet becomes available for real world use.What do you think? sarah perez Related Posts What this means is new apps that use pen-based input could be on their way to your next tablet computer. Developers, think you can build a better notepad than the one HTC ships? How about a game like Pictionary? The idea of using a pen within an application opens up the tablet interface to a number of new possibilities.However, HTC doesn’t know when exactly the third-party support will become available, since the tablet itself hasn’t even commercially launched yet. It arrives on Sprint with WiMax connectivity this summer, where it will be rebranded as the Evo View, and it will be in Best Buy stores in a Wi-Fi only version sometime in Q2 2011. At some point after that, Scribe will be opened up to developers.Is Pen-based Computing a Step Backward or Forward? Tags:#conferences#CTIA 2011#Trends#web 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Market A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai…
Two-day strike in Bicol fails to cripple transport Rain postpones Federer, Nadal and Djokovic matches in Rome FILE – China supporters cheer during the 2019 AFC Asian Cup quarter-final football match between China and Iran at the Mohammed Bin Zayed Stadium Stadium in Abu Dhabi on January 24, 2019. (Photo by Roslan RAHMAN / AFP)South Korea has abandoned its bid to stage football’s Asian Cup in 2023, authorities said, leaving the sole other bidders China with a free run to become hosts.The Korea Football Association (KFA) said in a statement it had pulled out to “strategically focus” on a joint bid with North Korea to host the Women’s World Cup in the same year.ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next The KFA announced Seoul’s bid to host the 24-nation 2023 edition two years ago, saying it hoped to “host the most prestigious football tournament in Asia” 63 years after holding it for the first time in 1960.Thailand and Indonesia had also previously expressed interest in hosting the 2023 event, but dropped their bids earlier.This year’s tournament in the UAE was expanded to 24 nations for the first time with Qatar winning the final 3-1 against Japan. ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES DA eyes importing ‘galunggong’ anew Catholic schools seek legislated pay hike, too ‘Rebel attack’ no cause for concern-PNP, AFP Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Ethel Booba twits Mocha over 2 toilets in one cubicle at SEA Games venue View comments PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss Cayetano: Senate, Drilon to be blamed for SEA Games mess Duterte wants probe of SEA Games mess Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting The KFA announced the joint bid in March, but diplomatic contacts between Pyongyang and Seoul have since dwindled with North Korea-US nuclear talks deadlocked.“For the Women’s World Cup, FIFA and the South Korean government will provide active support so that the joint hosting by South and North Koreas can be materialized,” the KFA’s head Chun Han-jin said in the statement late Wednesday.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logisticsSeoul’s Asian Cup withdrawal means that China should on June 4 be confirmed by the AFC (Asian Football Confederation) as hosts of the nations championship finals for the second time. China staged the tournament in 2004 when the hosts lost 3-1 to Japan in the Beijing final.